The guide demonstrates how to make a frame bag. Enjoy 🙂A frame bag is a super simple and practical piece of cycling gear. They’re a great place to store things that you need quick access to.
Essential stuff like your phone, medical kit, and ham sandwiches. With a little creativity, you can learn how to make a frame bag. All you need is a few materials and your nan’s sewing machine.
For an in-depth run through of how to make a frame bag check out the excellent video by Greenwater780 below.
What You’ll Need
- Sewing Machine
- Cutting Mat
- Rotary cutter
- Straight edge ruler
- 100% nylon thread
- Waterproof zippers
- Waterproof zipper pull
- 1 and 2 inch Velcro
- Fabric scissors
- Fabric of your choice
The standard advice I can give you here is to – measure everything quickly.
Then, when you’ve finished cutting and nothing fits.
Call it all a load of rubbish and blame the ruler. Or, some say “measure twice, cut once.”
Poor advice if you ask me, but it’s up to you.
1. Make the template
- Get your cardboard.
- Trace the exact shape of the area you’d like to fill.
- Once you have your cardboard cut, you can use it to sketch where you’d like the Velcro straps to go.
2. Cut The Fabric
- Trace the cardboard onto your fabric leaving about an inch around the outside.
- Leave a little more along the edge where the zip will be. This extra will disappear once the zip is sewn in.
3. Sew The Zipper Into A Panel
- Make the zipper strip by finding your desired length and then cut it about 1.5″ too long.
- Cut your triangle panel into two pieces where the zipper will be placed and sew in.
4. Cut The Fabric That Will Attach The Two Panels
- Measure and cut the total distance around the triangle panel. It should be about 50″-60″ long, and about 2″ wide.
5. Sew The Material Around The Outside
- This bag is sewn inside out. So be careful when adding the straps between the panels.
- I’d recommend marking on the inside of each triangle panel where the straps go
- Another thing to consider is the way that the Velcro is facing.
- Make sure to check all of your stitches. Perhaps run over them a few times to make sure they’re strong.
- Finally, turn it the correct way out and repeat the whole process because you’ve done it wrong. Good luck!
Here’re a few other informative tutorials on how to make a frame bag.
I can’t be bothered.
If, after all, that, you’ve decided that it would be easier to buy a frame bag, you’re in luck.Nowadays, there’s plenty of quality, cheap bags available. The Ibera Frame Bag is popular.